Johnny Chance in the photo above has been credited as the “discoverer” of gold in Granite Creek. On July 5, 1885, according to Susan Allison (a Similkameen pioneer) Chance accidentally discovered nuggets as he rested by the river. Photo from B.C. Archives.
The first bridge constructed across the Tulameen River giving access to Granite Creek looked to be very precarious. Photo from B.C. Archives.
By 1886 Granite Creek had “nine general stores, 14 hotels and restaurants, two jewellers, three bakers, three blacksmiths, two livery stables, a shoemaker, butcher, chemist, attorney, doctor and eight pack trains owned in the city.” The townsite is in the background of this photo on the plateau. Photo from B.C. Archives.
Foxcrowle Cook (a pioneer merchant in Granite Creek) described the streets of the town as being so narrow that a packed horse could barely maneuver its way through them. This photo is ca. 1890. Roy Thomas Collection.
This photo ca. 1888 shows the Wallace Hotel (left) and Cook’s Store (centre). Photo from B.C. Archives.
As Granite Creek grew, the original bridge was replaced with a safer and wider version. Frenchy’s cabin is just across the bridge in this photo. Photo from Frank Bailey's book "Nicola, Similkameen and Tulameen Valleys, The Richest Section of British Columbia".
Frenchy was a Chinese placer miner who lived at Granite Creek. He was well respected by those who knew him. Photo from Frank Bailey's book "Nicola, Similkameen and Tulameen Valleys, The Richest Section of British Columbia".
This photo taken ca. 1901 shows a Mineralogist camp at Granite Creek. Photo from B.C. Archives.
Granite Creek as it looked in 1901. Photo from B.C. Archives.